Today’s “Link Love” post goes to Craig Groeschel from Lifechurch.tv. We talked this past Sunday about this very topic. Amazing how God put this out this week right after we talked about it. Thought this was very relevant. Here’s what Craig has to say:
I was talking to a guy on a plane about God. When I asked him if he went to church, he explained politely that he wasn’t interested. I asked him why he wasn’t and he said matter of factly, “Because I’ve already been and nothing happened.”
Maybe he went to a “safe” church. In a safe church:
- The message makes you feel better.
- You’re never confronted about your sin.
- No one rocks the boat.
- You don’t have to change.
- You may never truly encounter our Holy and Life-giving God.
When I read about the New Testament Church, it was filled with people with a dangerous faith. While we certainly should make our environments welcoming, our message should remain dangerous.
- We’re called to leave everything to follow Christ.
- We’re invited to believe God for the impossible.
- We’re told to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.
- We’re told that to find our life we have to lose it first.
There is nothing safe about that message. May our churches become a safe place to encounter a dangerous message.