Returned late last night from The Whiteboard Sessions conference in Reston, VA outside Washington DC. It was a great day, packed full of ideas. The format was simple: eight speakers, each having 30 minutes to share one idea. Here are some of the takeaways I had:
- Mark Batterson – dream big; confess the sin of small dreams; the danger of small dreams is “we stop doing ministry out of imagination and start doing ministry out of memory“
- Vince Antonucci – churches are reaching people in record numbers, just not lost people; Are we content with seeking and saving the “saved”? That’s not the mission.
- Tim Stevens – leverage the culture or risk losing your impact; as a church we may be answering questions that no one is asking
- Darrin Patrick – 1 John 5: “stay away from idols“; idolatry is the sin beneath the sin; you were made to worship…to be captivated…and you will, by something; Who am I if I am not _________ ? ” (fill in blank with whatever position, profession, career you have); “an idol is something in my life that holds the place reserved for God alone” (Martin Lloyd Jones)
- Mark Dever – the church is to be a reflection of God’s character; God has put Himsel on display through the local church (Eph. 3); our Sunday gathering as the church “is not an event to be produced, but a community to be cultivated”
- John Burke -stay connected to God moment by moment; when we stay connected, fruit happens; Is God enough or do things have to go your way too?
- Perry Noble – Who has God called you to be?; Mark 3:13-19 shows that we must understand 3 things: we’re called (v. 19), our priorities (v. 14-15), the temptation (v. 19)
- Ed Stetzer – we can go through doubt to faith like Thomas did; God promises His presence not all the answers nor my personal happiness
It was a good conference. Well worth the day. I also got to hang out with my friend Russ and had lunch with Ellis and Mike. Good conversations and good opportunities to connect. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
By the way, got home at 11:30pm last night, got up at 6:30am and drove back to Chattanooga to get the stroller we left there earlier this week (see earlier post). Was back in time for lunch then to the office to make up for lost study time this week. I’m not “commuting” back to Chatt. for a while! 🙂